He was oppressed and He was afflicted, yet He did not open His mouth; like a lamb that is led to slaughter, and like a sheep that is silent before its shearers, so He did not open His mouth. By oppression and judgement He was taken away; and as for His generation, who considered that He was cut off out of the land of the living for the transgression of my people, to whom the stroke was due? But the LORD was pleased to crush Him to grief; if He would render Himself as a guilt offering, He will see His offspring, He will prolong HIs days, and the good pleasure of the LORD will prosper in His hand. As a result of the anguish of His soul, He will see it and be satisfied; by His knowledge the Righteous One, My Servant, will justify the many, as He will bear their iniquities. Isaiah 53:8, 10-11
We are going to begin where we left off last week. Read Revelation 6:1-17 and make a list of the seals and their judgements.
Seal 1: Revelation 6:1-2, White Horse: Most common interpretation: The rider symbolizes the Antichrist. Satan masquerades as an angel of light. Also, keep in mind, Lamb is in heaven opening the seals, not on earth.
- Compare Revelation 6:1-2 with Revelation 19:11-16. We are told about the Rider in Revelation 19:11-16? Who is He and how is He described? What is He wearing? Do the two riders have any similarities other than they are on a white horse?
- Revelation 6:1-2: The rider given a bow, notice no mention of an arrow. The bow is a symbol of war, but the absence of arrows implies that this victory is a bloodless one-a peace won by covenant and agreement, not by war. MacArthur Bible Commentary. Also see Daniel 9:24-27. The rider was also "given a crown". This crown was a victory crown similar to a crown given to one who won a race. This laurel wreath is given to him by the world's inhabitants when the world makes him king. He is elected by the inhabitants of the earth and will preach peace and safety to the world. While they are saying, "peace and safety!" then destruction will come upon them suddenly like labor pains upon a woman with child, and they will not escape. 1 Thessalonians 5:3
- Matthew 24:4-5: "See to it that no one misleads you, for many will come in my name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and will mislead many." Mark also gives a stern warning, "if possible, even the elect."
Seal 2: Revelation 6:4, Red Horse: Rider granted to take peace from the earth and men will slay one another and a great sword given to him. War.
- Matthew 24:6,7: "You will be hearing of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not frightened, for those things must take place, but that is not yet the end. For nation will rise against nation and kingdom, against kingdom."
Seal 3: Revelation 6:5-6, Black Horse: Rider had a pair of scales in his hand. Scarcity of food and famine. A days wages to feed a small family.
- Matthew 24:7, "and in various places there will be famines." see seal 6 for the continuation of this verse.
Seal 4: Revelation 6:7-8, Pale Horse: Rider is named Death. Authority over a fourth of the earth given to this rider, to kill with sword and with famine and with pestilence and by the wild beasts of the earth.
- Matthew 24:7, "For nation will rise against nation and kingdom and against kingdom, and in various places there will be famines and earthquakes.
Seal 5: Revelation 6:9-11, Souls of the Saints Under the Alter. A glimpse of what is taking place in heaven while the war is waging on earth.
- "How long, O Lord, holy and true, will You refrain from judging and avenging our blood on those who dwell on the earth?" Souls under the alter of incense...the prayers of the Saints, raising before the Lord.
- Read Leviticus 4:7 for the significance of under the alter. Notice the alter of fragrant incense. It makes me think of the golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints in Revelation 5:8. "How long until you avenge our blood," is also found in Luke 18:7-8
- What were these saints given and what were they told to do?
Seal 6: Revelation 6:12-14, Cosmic Disturbances. Great earthquake, sun turned black, moon blood red, stars fall to earth, sky recedes like a scroll, mountain and islands removed.
- Compare these verses to Isaiah 34:4, Isaiah 54:10 (An amazing promise to those who stand firm during this time)
- Matthew: 24:7,8 "and earthquakes. But all these are merely the beginning of birth pangs."
Read Revelation 6:15-17. How do the kings and the inhabitants of the earth respond to these 6 seal judgments? What do they say? Do they repent?
End your time today in 2 Peter 3:1-11
- What does Peter want his readers to recall in verse 2? What does he want them to understand in verse 3? Are we seeing this more and more in our culture and in some churches?
- What have the people forgotten in verse 5? What strikes you by the word, deliberately? Do you think this is a message for the church in the last days? "Watch out that no one deceives you?"
- In verse 10, how is the Day of the Lord described? What will happen to the heavens?
- How then shall we live in light of what we are discovering in Revelation? How do these verses encourage you to live for the praise and glory of another and walk in a manner worthy of your calling?
Picture above is of the Jezreel Valley in Israel.