Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Spirit of Prophecy

Jerusalem-1
My intention today was to start posting notes from a Bible Study I've been putting together for a group of younger girls that wanted to learn about the end times and Old Testament prophecy. I've titled the Bible Study,The Spirit of Prophecy, I have a love for Old Testament prophecy and the Prophets and when they asked me to teach them I was overjoyed at the prospect of sitting and discussing these amazing truths with them. These truths bring so much comfort in the midst of chaos. We've been meeting since August and I have been contemplating for some time now sharing my notes. My only hesitation is the blog format didn't seem to be the appropriate avenue to post a Bible Study. I've decided to go ahead and post the Bible Study on the blog. I'm not much of a rule follower and the Bible tells us we can benefit greatly from the wisdom of the prophets. Scripture tells us to pay attention to the Prophets and the things written down for our instruction. As I mentioned above my intention was to start posting my notes. But first, I want to remind you that the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy and I believe future prophecy will be literally fulfilled just as prophecies concerning Jesus' first coming were literally fulfilled. For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy. Revelation 19:10
My God, my God, why have You forsaken me? They open wide their mouth at me, as a ravening and a roaring lion. I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint; My heart is like wax; it is melted within me. My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue cleaves to my jaws; and You lay me in the dust of death. For dogs have surrounded me; a band of evildoers has encompassed me; they pierced my hands and my feet I can count all my bones. They look, they stare at me; they divide my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots. PSALM 22:1,13-18
The Psalm above was written by David moved by the Spirit of God. It applied to David immediately but ultimately to the Suffering Servant, Jesus. This Psalm is quoted or alluded to in the New Testament 15 times. Psalm 22 was written a thousand years before it's fulfillment. When pondering this fact, I am reminded, For we did not follow cleverly devised tales when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of His majesty. So we have the prophetic word made more sure, to which you do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star arises in your hearts. But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation, for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God. 1 Peter 1:16,19-21
When Jesus approached Jerusalem on the donkey, He saw the city and wept over it, saying, "If you had known in this day, even you, the things which make for peace! But now they have been hidden from your eyes. For the days will come upon you when your enemies will throw up a barricade against you, and surround you and hem you in on every side, and they will level you to the ground and your children within you, and they will not leave in you one stone upon another, because you did not recognize the time of your visitation. Luke 41-44. The literal fulfillment of this prophecy happened in AD 70, 37 years after this prophesy was spoken. Could the Lord be asking us, why is there no peace in your land? Why is there this restlessness that prevails in your heart? If only you had known this day, what would bring you peace but now it has been hidden from you eyes. Today if you hear His voice, do not harden your heart as when they provoked me. Hebrews 3:8
Are we failing to recognize the time of our visitation? We have the prophetic word made sure and yet are we still rebelling against His glorious presence? While we are in the favorable year of the Lord, we have the opportunity to surrender to the Lord Jesus and ask Him to be the Lord of our life. For more on the favorable year of the Lord, see One Vision Two Comings. He is calling us to turn from our self to Himself and to live a life that is pleasing to Him. He is calling us to trust in His sacrifice on our behalf and stop trying to reach Him through hollow and deceptive philosophies. He wants us to surrender to His will rather than our own. As we see the day of reckoning approaching, we will do well to pay attention to the prophesies proclaimed in the Bible and walk in the way of obedience. The prophesies will light the way and prepare us for the things which are coming and strengthen us until the day dawns and the Morning Star arises in our hearts. We are to work the works while it is still day because night is approaching when no man can work.
Jesus' spent His last hours of life in fellowship with His disciples and in prayer. He spent His last days speaking about the things to come and what would be the signs of His second coming. May we reflect on His words, "they did not recognize the time of their visitation," and respond to His call to repentance and faith in Him, trusting in His perfect provisions and His final atoning sacrifice for our sin. He is the only one who can save us from our sins. He who knew no sin became sin for us. He is our Passover Lamb who is worthy to receive power and riches and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and blessing. Revelation 5:12
Starting this Tuesday, I will be weekly posting The Eleventh Hour Bible Study on this blog. The best way to use the study is to meet weekly in a small group and read the Scriptures together out loud and discuss. This is a no homework format to discuss the End Times and Old Testament prophesy. It is my hope that as you gather together that the Holy Spirit will encourage and strengthen you as He prepares you for the things which are to come. This study is NOT about charts and timelines trying to predict the day and the hour. It is looking directly into the Word of God and allowing Scripture to interpret Scripture. 

No comments: