Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Richest of Fare

Jozy in the Candy-1
"Come, all you who are thirty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without cost. Why spend money on what is not bread and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good and your soul will delight in the richest of fare. Give ear and come to me; hear me, that your soul may live. " Isaiah 55:1-3
What costs us nothing cost Him everything. We who have nothing are invited to come to the One who has everything. The One who is King over all creation humbled Himself and became nothing so that we could have everything. Jesus Christ; Who being in the very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man he humbled himself and became obedient to death even death on a cross! Therefore, God exulted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow and tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Philippians 2:6-11
My self-saturated mind can not grasp God's infinite Grace. The Grace that screams, "it is finished!" And yet if it was anything less then it would be about me and not Him. God eternal, the same God who spoke creation into being, humbled Himself, came and dwelled among men, not as a king but as a servant. Not just a servant but the final atoning sacrifice for our sin. A man who knew no sin became sin for us and not just a man but God. Come, you who have no money, come buy and eat. Isaiah 55:1 What must I do to do the works God requires? Surely, I must do something. "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent." John 6:29
Come buy wine and milk without cost. Isaiah 55:1
We try and earn our way to freedom. The struggle within ourselves is to make it all about what we've done and yet Jesus tell us that it's work to believe in and trust in what He's already done on our behalf. Our wrestling is to die to self, to die to that within us that struggles for independence from God. To die to the flesh that screams, "it's about me and what I'm doing," as if what we do justifies us before God.
I tell you the truth, you are looking for me, not because you saw miraculous signs but because you ate the loaves of bread and had your fill. Do not work for food that spoils but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval. John 6:26-27 . The greek word work for is ergazomai; it means in the sense to labor for, to earn one's food. The Complete Word Study Dictionary, Spiros Zodiates. We can't earn our salvation. We can't do enough to be justified before God apart from Christ. Our good deeds are worthless apart from Him. It's His Spirit within us that justifies us before God, we receive His Spirit when we trust in what He has done and ask Him to forgive us and come within us. Human nature never changes. Just as in Jesus' day so it is in our day, we want to work the works of God, independent of Christ. We want to have the benefits of Christ without the cost of belief and trust. We want the credit and the accolades and yet when we receive them, it's never enough to satisfy the deep longing and need within us that only Christ can satisfy. Why do you spend money on what is not bread and labor on what does not satisfy? Isaiah 55:2
Give us this bread that gives life to the world. Jesus declares, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty. But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. John 6:35.
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good and your soul will delight on the richest fare. Give ear and come to me; hear me, that your soul may live. Isaiah 55:2
Lord, forgive me for my unbelief and help me to believe. Help me to take hold of every provision in Christ and strengthen my faith. Strengthen what remains so that I can bring You glory. Forgive me for thinking my salvation is about me and not about you. Forgive me for making it about what I do instead of what has already been done on my behalf. Give me freedom in Christ and save me from my wretched independence. I take hold of your provision, Christ and place my trust in Him. I cling to Him in my need and rest in His provision which has already been made on my behalf. I eagerly await His coming and the culmination of events when I will see Him face to face. Thank you Lord that I do not lack any Spiritual gift as I eagerly wait for my Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. He will keep me strong to the end, so that I will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God, who has called me into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful. 1Corinthians 1:7,8

1 comment:

Pastor Hutch said...

Your faith and your wisdom are truly something special Liz. Do you live anywhere along the Mississippi? God has called for a Harvest, maybe a final harvest before His return, and many believe it will start in Minnesota, travel south along the great Mississippi and then spread east and west. I'd like you to pray about being a leader in that harvest.

Pastor Hutch Walch. On Twitter and gmail is asavedearth@gmail.com

Blessings over you and yours!