Monday, August 8, 2011

Abundantly Pardons

Mommy and Jozy-1

Seek the Lord while He may be found; call upon Him while He is near. Let the wicked forsake his way and the unrighteous man his thoughts and let him return to the Lord, and He will have compassion on him, and to our God, for He will ABUNDANTLY PARDON. "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways", declares the Lord. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts" Isaiah 55:6-9
For as high as the heavens are above the earth so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west so far has he removed our transgressions from us. As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him; for he knows how are formed, he remembers that we are dust. Psalm 103:11-14
The verses above are often misquoted and in their misquotation the real meaning and passionate call to salvation is often missed. We use these verses to explain away the things we don't understand about life and God when in reality these verses are about the limitless love of God to a dying and desolate soul. I know it's not popular to use the words dying and desolate to describe the condition of the human soul without God but I can honestly say that during my college years there were moments I would have referred to myself this way. I believed the lie that there was no way the Lord could forgive me and while embracing this lie I covered up my sin and shame by living my life the way I saw fit with no regard to God. Depression has a way of bringing you to your knees and I am thankful that the Lord brought me to the end of myself.
Oftentimes, when we sin we turn away from God. For a long time, I did my best to silence Him because to admit there is a God I must also admit that I was not god. I didn't know what the Bible said but I did know that within myself I wasn't following some higher moral code. I sought answers everywhere but not from the One who was calling me unto Himself. The Bible tells us that He knew every one of our days before ONE of them came to be. Our story was written before the foundations of the world. Psalm 139:16 He knew every sin, every moment and yet He still chose us for Himself and for His purposes. His ability to redeem a desolate soul and His power to change our innermost being is all about Him and not about us and our ability to muster up anything from within ourselves. I have no ability within myself to muster up enough belief, faith or love apart from His precious Son living within me and doing the work for me and through me. For He knows how I was formed, he remembers that I am dust. Psalm 103:14 (More on this verse in a later post).
We see from the verses above that salvation is for everyone who comes to Jesus. God desires to ABUNDANTLY pardon our sins. He calls us, to seek Him, to call upon Him, and to forsake our sinful ways and thoughts and to accept His Son, Jesus as the final sacrifice and atonement for our sins. For it is by His grace that we have been saved not by our works. It is by His death that we receive life. Our minds can't comprehend nor can our human intellect understand a holy infinite God who loves us and desires to pardon everyone who comes to Him, believing that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him. Hebrews 11:6. According to the verses above, there is no room for penance or working for our salvation for only God pardons sin and He does so through faith in His son, Jesus. God doesn't pardon sin reluctantly but abundantly.
As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and the ruler of the kingdom of the air, who is now at work in in those who are disobedient. ALL OF US also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of the sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath. But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us ALIVE with Christ even when were dead in transgressions. Ephesians 2:1-4
I am a girl who is redeemed from the futility of life apart from God and made alive in Christ. I was once far off but have been brought near to God through the blood of Christ, for Christ preached peace to those who were far away and to those who were near. The punishment that brought me peace was upon him and by his wounds I am healed. Ephesians 2:13,17, Isaiah 53:5
Re-post written December of 2009

2 comments:

stirringthedeep.com said...

Thanks for sharing this ... only when we see ourselves in the flesh life for what it truly is and what it creates (death and destruction) are we willing to let it all go to embrace the new regenerated life that God wants to give us.

Rachel

Liz Blalock said...

Thank you Rachel. You always stir me to think deeper. I enjoy going to your blog for new insights. Thank you for your insight. I'm so glad the Lord has opened my eyes to my flesh and the death and destruction that can take place if I give into it. I'm thankful that He has given me all I need in the form of His son to walk in the Spirit and embrace His grace daily.