Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Desert of Busyness

streams-1
As a deer pants for the water brooks, so my soul pants for You, O God. My soul thirst for God, for the living God;when shall I come and appear before God? My tears have been food day and night. Psalm 42:1-3
My feet are dusty from trudging through the desert of busyness. My mouth is parched by the lack of water found in this valley. Like a cactus, doubt grows and flourishes in this environment. The scorching sun and lack of living water, cause weariness to come upon me and I lose my footing stumbling into this cactus, it pricks and leaves a scar.
The snake slithers and hides below the sand, two eyes visible but body hidden. Walking through the valley of busyness, where doubt flourishes and complacency resides, the snake is the most dangerous threat and his lies whisper..."God is not pleased with you."
"Where did that thought come from," I wonder, as my feet continue down the path of complacency? Those eyes, they are on me, waiting for me to journey further into his territory. He waits just below the sand, keeping watch as I continue to put one foot in front of the other. His voice slithers..."God will never use you, just give up"
Suddenly, a sand storm comes upon me and I become confused. It is hard for me to see, the sand is swirling all around me, my vision impaired. He comes out of his hiding place, exposing himself ..."You are not forgiven, do you really believe He loves you and died for you, what have you done for Him"
My heart quickens and my mind swirls...."could it be that I missed the call of salvation" I cry out to God for help...
I hear a different voice, one that is quiet, and His words defy logic. At the sound of His voice the sand settles and the wind calms.... "When I look at you I see my Son" and again, "I love you as I have loved my Son". He looks at me tenderly and says, "Stay close enough to Me to hold onto my garment" I put my head down and hold on tightly to His garment. He shields Me from the deadly bite of the serpent while crushing his head with His heel. I put one foot in front of the other as He leads me out of this forsaken land to the abundant waters He provides in the wilderness. I drink deeply from the living water He provides in the desert. While the sand still covers me and my eyes still burn from the desert storm, I'm once again reminded that He will always satisfy and yet I yearn to never be satisfied but always yearn for more of what He provides. I yearn for more of Him who splits rocks in the wilderness and gives us abundant drink like the ocean depths. Psalm 78:15

I cry aloud with my voice to the LORD; I make supplication with my voice to the LORD. I pour out my complaint before Him; I declare my trouble before Him. When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, You knew my path. In the way where I walked, in the desert of busyness(my words)...I cried out to You, O LORD; I said, "You are my refuge, My portion in the land of the living. Give heed to my cry, for I am brought very low; deliver me from my persecutors, for they are too strong for me. Bring my soul out of prison, so that I may give thanks to Your name; the righteous will surround me, for You will deal bountifully with me" Psalm 142:1-3,5-7

Saying to those who are bound, 'Go forth,' to those who are in darkness, 'Show yourselves.' Along the roads they will feed, and their pastures will be on all bare heights. "They will not hunger or thirst, nor will the scorching heat or sun strike them down; for He who has compassion on them will lead them and will guide them to springs of water." Isaiah 49:9-10

2 comments:

laurakirkland said...

Liz!
I did not know that you had this blog. It is absolutely wonderful. I started a blog this week and I went to college with Becky Lamm. Her mom was reading my blog and commented on my post that she reads this blog "stones of remembrance"... She said I would love it. Anyway, I came over to check it out and low and behold! I will have to start following. You are deep girl! I love it.
I also have been reading the Amazima blog. And of course, 60feet.org. Saw a button for Amazima on your page. Keep in touch.

charlotte lamm said...

Liz, You know how I look forward to reading your blogs, and I mentioned it to Laura, Becky's VSU room or house mate most of the time. She was in Becky's wedding, and I LOVE her. You two would get along so well. I am so glad she connected with you. You are both amazingly spiritual and live to golorify God. Let me know if you connect with her. I surely hope you do.
I have been going back and reading some of your earlier posts. I just want to hug you. loving you much, charlotte