Tuesday, May 10, 2011

"I Know That"

hannah jumping in waves-1

He awakens my ear to listen as a disciple. The Lord has opened My ear; And I was not disobedient Nor did I turn back. Isaiah 50:4,5

He awakens me morning by morning. He awakens my ear to listen as a disciple and yet it isn't enough for me to hear the Word of the Lord I must then act on it.

It isn't enough for me to say, "I know that", I must live as though I believe it. What we know is different than what we believe. For most of us know truth but few of us strive to live by the truth. Our actions are the looking glass into what we believe to be true.

I can not say, " I know that", and yet act as though I don't.

My little girl was caught in disobedience. Being her mommy, I said to her, "Please do not do that again." Now she knew what she was doing was wrong and this wasn't the first time she did this particular thing. Her response to me, "I know that". For the record, this response infuriates me, my response, "I didn't ask you if you KNEW that, I told you not to DO that!" Our actions are indicators to what we believe. It isn't enough for me to know it, I must obey and act as if I know it. It isn't enough for me to claim to love and trust Jesus, I must show I trust and love Him through my actions. Jesus, tells us, "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments." John 14:15 And "He who has my commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by my Father." John 14:21

Deeper thought, what do my actions imply that I believe? Who am I listening to? What ideas am I buying into? What school of thought am I living out of? Is the world's lingo and slogans resonating within my heart or am I awakened morning by morning to the sound of the gentle rolling waves of Truth?

It is the Lord who awakens the ear to listen as a disciple BUT am I obeying?

He awakens my ear to listen as a disciple. The Lord has opened My ear; And I was not disobedient Nor did I turn back. Isaiah 50:4,5

1 comment:

stirringthedeep.com said...

wonderful post ... it's interesting how so often people will say they believe in God and Jesus is Lord - but their lives and choices tell a different story. This is what James meant when he said that without works your faith is dead. If your life doesn't reflect what you profess to believe, you don't really believe. It's empty words.

Rachel