Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Life of Focus

Living a life of focus requires taking our focus off the temporal things and placing it on the eternal. Making an intentional effort to live a life free of anxiety and worry. Both of which distract us from living a life of purpose. It is my goal to live a life free from worry while pressing on toward the goal of living a life that glorifies God and puts my focus on the vision He has put in front of me.
The picture above was taken by me in Italy. I thought it captured perfectly what it means to have a long term vision. Notice that the focus of the picture is on a far away house. For me, it captures living a life with an eternal perspective. Keeping my mind fixed on eternity while the temporal fades into the background. So often, I live my life the other way around. My vision and focus is on the temporal, what is going on all around me, instead of on the eternal. You see, what we do with the time we have been given will effect our eternity.
The word, worry comes from a German word which means to strangle. Worry is a form of fear. It is a fear that things are not going to turn out as you expect. It is a fear that you are going to be hurt or rejected in the future or that something shameful from your past is going to come to light. It is a fear that God is not going to come through for you to protect you, provide for you or nurture you as you desperately long for him to do. (Discover the Power of One, Dr. Michael Youssef)
Dr. Youssef goes on to give us these statistics. 40% of what we worry about never happens, 30% is in the past and we can’t change it. 12% worry needlessly about their health, 10% petty anxieties and 8% light worries.
Simply put, Worry strangles our faith and yields us powerless to make any real eternal difference. We miss out on so many amazing blessings and opportunities when we spend all our energy worrying about the future.
What would our lives look like if we lived a life of focus? Jesus, tells us to live one day at a time. Focus on today! Do not worry about tomorrow. Do not worry about the things you have no control over. I believe when we live a focused life we will be able to live our life with an eternal perspective. We will not be bogged down with the worries of the world and distracted by earthly things. I believe he is challenging us to live life with an eternal perspective; our minds focused entirely on eternal things. You know what is my greatest fear? It is that I will miss out on what God has created me to do because I am so focus and distracted on temporal things, things that in light of eternity are insignificant. When I focus on heavenly things and live my life with an eternal perspective my life takes on a whole new level of excitement and adventure. The worries of the day no longer matter. A life of focus.

2 comments:

stirringthedeep.com said...

I love that picture and what it represents to you. This year one of my resolutions is not to worry - it is simply irrational for a child of God, a waste of energy, and time. There are so many other wonderful things to focus on.

So far so good. There have been a couple of mind battles I've had to fight- but I did. The enemy loves to feed us worry thoughts.

Thanks for the post. Again love the picture.

Rachel

stirringthedeep.com said...

Love the picture. Not worrying is one of my goals this year. For one worrying for a child of God is irrational, two isn't a drain of my energy and three it is a waste of value mind time. There are so many other things to focus on in any given moment.

So far so good. I've had to fight a battle or two in my mind, but I was prepared. Satan loves to throw those worry thoughts our way.

Thanks for the post. Again love the picture and what it represented to you.

Rachel