Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Sword of the Spirit

Most of us don't like our flesh to be prodded by the sword of the Spirit and our eyes to be opened to the sin that resides below the surface. It has been in my times of discontentment and restlessness that God has prodded me with His Holy Word and has opened my eyes to the sin that resides in my heart, the sin of self reliance and indifference. Sin exposed for the sole purpose of repentance and redemption. What do you do when God gently prods you? If you are like me, you walk around feeling guilty and ashamed. You rationalize the consequences of the hidden sin, which by the way, is never really hidden. You do all of this instead of doing the one thing you should do which is rejoice and repent. Rejoicing that He doesn't leave us as we are but calls us out to be set apart for His glory. When God prods us, it is a gentle nudging in the right direction. This nudging requires movement on our part away from the things of this world. Things which may bring temporary comfort but viewed from a different perspective would be deemed a distraction.
I have been thinking about my eternal home a lot lately. My desire to make a difference for His glory. The idea that my life, this side of eternity, is described by God as a vapor and a mist in comparison to my time spent in eternity. Without Jesus leading my life and the direction of my steps, my goodness and good works are in vain and wretched holding no real eternal significance. May He always prod me to keep me on the path He has prepared for me. May He guard my heart against apathy and self reliance until He comes to take me home.
Is your flesh being prodded by the sword of the Spirit and if so how are you going to respond?

No comments: