Sunday, May 9, 2010

Dearly Loved Children

Happy Mother's Day! As I reflect on all this day means to me it brings thanksgiving for God gave me four precious gifts to raise and nurture. He entrusted me with their hearts and minds. When I'm still enough to listen, He equips me daily for the tasks at hand. When I take time to hand over my insecurities, He gives me what I need when I need it. I do all of this with the hope that one day my girls will want to imitate me because they see Jesus in me. God tells us to be imitators of Him as dearly loved children. It is my hope as I imitate Him they will want to imitate me. Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. Ephesians 5:1-2
The Message translation of Ephesians 5:1-2, states it like this, Watch what God does and then you do it, like children who learn proper behavior from their parents. Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn’t love in order to get something from us. Love like that.
The first time I understood the heart of this command was when Hollen was 18 months old. I was busy vacuuming with my canister vacuum cleaner. I didn't think Hollen was watching but all of a sudden she comes toddling up to me with her daddy’s golf putter in her hand. She starts pushing the putter back and forth giggling and clearly so proud of her accomplishments. That's when it hit me, what it means to imitate God as dearly loved children. Hollen loved me enough to WANT to imitate me. She knew she was dearly loved by me and therefore trusted me and wanted to please me. It was precious to me because for 18 months I nurtured her, fed her, changed her and loved her, all in the hope, one day she would want to imitate me. I wanted her to know she was dearly loved by me.
Paul tells the early Christians to be imitators of God as dearly loved children. This verse tells us we are dearly loved by God. It tells us God sees us as His children. Children He loves, nurtures, feeds and protects. Many times, we fail to see Him working in our lives. We are so focused on the "show of life" that we fail to see Him vacuuming up our messes and restoring our home. We fail to trust Him for our everyday needs and our eternal security. We fail to receive His unconditional love.
Because of Jesus’ death and resurrection we are now adopted as sons and daughters of the Most High God. Because of His love for you He sent Jesus His son to the cross. Let us not forget He went willingly. He is the authority above every authority. Jesus, the one who created heaven and earth and yet He chose to die on the cross for your sin.
Let me ask you a very important question, "What saves you? Your works or His death?" If we truly understood that we are called children of God only by His blood and not by what we do than our hearts desire would be to imitate Him. It is by grace that you have been saved not by works, Ephesians 2:8.

2 comments:

joven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kim said...

Beautiful. Like everything you write.
Happy Mother's Day from Hong Kong,
Kim