Friday, April 30, 2010

Mighty Warrior

Do not let your hearts be troubled trust in God; trust also in me. John 14:1
We as women are so in tune with our feelings and emotions at times we fall into the trap of believing our feelings and emotions are truth. How we feel about something becomes our reality. We rely so much on how we “feel” about a situation that our feelings often override God’s truths.
For instance, when we say things like, "that just doesn’t feel right to me.", "I don’t feel like God loves me.", "I don’t feel like I love my husband anymore.", "I’m feeling a little off today.", "I feel like I’m about to lose it!” We are allowing how we feel at any particular moment to define our actions and our reality. We must remember, God's truths triumph over our feelings.
Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. The Greek word for trouble in this verse is the word Tarasso, which means to agitate, to cause one inward commotion; to take away one’s calmness of mind. It goes on to use words like to disquiet, to strike with fear and dread; to suggest scruples and doubts. When I read this definition I picture someone who is restless, who doubts, someone who is unfocused and controlled by whatever the day holds. Henceforth, the word Tarasso distracts us from God’s truths and causes our minds to be filled with lies and confusion.
When looking at the life of Gideon I am encouraged by his faith in the midst of his feeling fearful. I think we can learn a powerful lesson from observing his life.

When we are feeling fearful but acting in faith, are we fearful or full of faith?

Gideon "felt" fearful but acted in faith. He didn't bow down to his feelings of fear instead he asked God for a sign and he trusted Him with the outcome. He surrendered his fear to a mighty God. He obeyed God. He didn't allow his "feelings of fear" to override God's truths. He might have been feeling fear during those times of battle but he didn't allow his fear to keep him from what God had called him to do.
So let me ask again, "was Gideon fearful or full of faith?"
Oftentimes, we allow how we are feeling to describe who we are. We feel guilty for "feeling" fearful even when we are acting in faith. Often times, when we act in faith despite how we feel we are demonstrating to a mighty God our trust in Him. I believe it's much more honoring to Him when we trust Him despite how we feel.

"The LORD is with you, mighty warrior."
Mighty Warrior written July 2009

1 comment:

Thea Nelson said...

True! It can be tough to redirect our focus from all we feel and perceive, to the unseen truth and constance of God.