Thursday, January 7, 2010

Fear of Things Unseen

I wanted to re-post this entry on Fear of Things Unseen. Again, I had to stare this fear in the face and despite my attempted bravery, I failed. If you struggle with fear and can identify with this post, I would love to pray for you. Just leave a comment listing your particular fear and I will pray for the Lord to dispel your fear and replace it with peace.
Fear is a form of worship.
As most of you know, I struggle with fear. I don't struggle so much with fear of the things that I can see but rather fear of the things I can't see.
For the longest time I had a hard time explaining why I was afraid. I would repeat over and over again to well meaning friends, "Yes, I know I have an alarm.' Yes, I know I can call my closest friends at midnight or later.' 'Yes, I know how improbable it is for someone to break into my house the one night my husband is away." But that is not what I'm afraid of, I'm afraid of the things I can't see." Coming to terms with this fear has been hard, for two reasons... one, not many people understand and secondly, I want to think I have enough faith to put away childish thinking. I have tried on many occasions to pull up my big girl panties and get over it.
As a child, I was afraid of monsters, ghosts and evil. I hated sleeping alone in my room. Most nights growing up, I would crawl into my parents room right after they fell asleep and sleep halfway under their bed so they wouldn't see me. Many nights, I would sleep on the floor with no pillow and one blanket. I feared that which I could not see but somehow knew existed.
Why do I tell you this? I tell you this because it wasn't until the Lord reprimanded me that I was able to understand the nature of my fear. The Lord's reprimand caused me to repent of my sin and ask for a fresh perspective. It also revealed the sin of unbelief that resides in my heart in the form of fear.
So what was the Lord's reprimand? Fear of Satan and of evil is in essence a form of worship. When you fear evil you are in fact worshiping it. Fear the LORD your God and serve Him only. Fear is a form of worship.
For instance, if I fear rejection I am worshiping man. If I fear pain, I am worshiping self. If I fear losing the things that I own, I am worship that which my hands have made. If I fear war or rumors of wars, I'm worshiping man. And if I'm fearing all the evil in the world than I am in fact denying, He who lives in me is greater than he who is in the world and I am worshiping and giving power to the enemy of the Living God. Power that is not due him.
Notice the wording in these verses.
You shall fear only the LORD your God; and you shall worship Him and swear by His name. Deuteronomy 6:13.
Notice in the verse the key word only. Why does God tell us to fear Him only? I believe He tells us this because He knows, what we fear will be what we will bow down to. Consequently, our fears will determine our actions. Fear will hold us hostage and keep us from doing what God has called us to do. Fear of God will encourage us to press forward in faith pushing past our fears of man, rejection, fear of things unseen, failure, and pressing forward toward a life of adventure and purpose while embracing an Almighty God and casting aside our fear. For Fear sets itself up against faith and renders us useless to the kingdom of God.
For thus the LORD spoke to me with mighty power and instructed me not to walk in the way of this people, " You are not to say, 'It is a conspiracy!' In regard to all that this people call a conspiracy, And you are not to fear what they fear or be in dread of it. "It is the LORD of hosts whom you should regard as holy. And He shall be your fear, And he shall be your dread. "Then He shall become your sanctuary." Isaiah 8:12-14
I could spend an entire entry on this one verse but for now, I will let this powerful verse speak for itself.
He will not fear evil tidings; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the LORD. His heart is upheld, he will not fear. Psalm 112:7

Fear of the Lord keeps all other fears in check.