Saturday, April 11, 2009

Who is it You are Looking For?


When the officials and chief priest came to seize Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane. Jesus went to them knowing all that was going to happen to him, he asked them, "Who is it you want?"
"Jesus of Nazareth", they replied.I AM HE", Jesus said. Again Jesus asked them, "Who is it you want?" "Jesus of Nazareth", they replied. "I told you I AM HE"... they bound him and took him away. (John 18:4-8)

In three short verses Jesus says "I AM HE" twice. I am the one you are looking for. The one who will go willingly to die for the sins of mankind. For what the leaders of the world plot for evil the Lord orchestrates for good. Jesus was the one they were looking for in the garden to crucify. He is the one we look to to save us from our sins and call Lord. His death and ressurection brings us life. The ultimate paradox, His death brings life.

Mary Magdalene went to the tomb of Jesus weeping over the death of her Lord, Jesus asked Mary, "Woman, why are you crying? Who is it you are looking for?" (John 20:10-13) Let's read this account in further detail.

Then the disciples went back to their homes, but Mary stood outside the tomb crying. As she wept, she bent over to look into the tomb and saw two angels in white, seated where Jesus' body had been, one at the head and the other at the foot. They asked her, " Woman, why are you crying?" "They have taken my Lord away," she said "and I don't know where they have put him." At this she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not realize that it was Jesus. John 20:10-15

"Woman," he said, "why are you crying? Who is it that you are looking for?"

Could it be that when we are in the midst of our anguish that our minds become cloudy? We are so focused on our present reality that we don't see Jesus as he really is? Jesus high and lifted up, seated at the right hand of God the Father. We are so focused on our present situation that we fail to see all that He is doing in our lives and in the lives of others. 

I want to point out that this same chapter tells us that Mary went to Peter and John and told them that "they" had taken him out of the tomb. The difference was that when Peter and John saw the empty tomb they believed and went back to their homes. 

You see, like Mary I can get so caught up in my present sufferings that I react as if there is no God at all. 

What about you? Can you identify with Mary's weeping? Do you feel her sorrow? If you like me can identify, let me encourage you, God does not leave us in our pit of despair. You see Mary went looking for Jesus. She went looking expecting to find him in the tomb dead unable to save her from her present grief but nevertheless she went looking. 

Mary went looking to anoint Jesus with oil but she is the one who left that day anointed! 

Let me ask you, "who is it that you are looking for?" "who is it that you seek?"Jesus was and is and will be your deliverer. He is more than able to meet all my needs and he is more than able to meet yours as well.

Jesus is Alive!! He is and will be our ever present help in our time of need.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Liz, I came across your site today and am so glad. This post is beautiful. I think we have some things in common (3 little girls/love of Jesus, etc.). I look forward to reading more of your posts. :) ~ Wendy