Monday, March 23, 2009

Weeds in my Garden



One of my favorite things to do in the spring time is to pull the weeds in my garden. There is a satisfaction in knowing that every weed removed makes way for the beautiful flowers that I have planted to flourish.

One thing that I have notice while weeding is that the biggest most noticeable weeds are oftentimes the easiest to remove. The reason being that some of the tallest weeds have the most shallow roots. 

It is the small weeds that are the hardest to pull up. They are the ones that if left unattended will spread and eventually overtake the garden and choke out the beautiful flowers I have planted.

I find that this is the same way with sin. You see the sins that are the most noticeable are often times the easiest sins to identify and turn away from. They are actions that indicate ones heart condition. For example, drunkenness, cussing, wild living, sex outside of marriage, cheating, course joking, fits of rage, lying, stealing, fighting. Just to name a few.

I have found in my personal life that my behavior is an outpouring of what is in my heart. I have also found that it's much easier for me to change my behavior than it is for me to change my heart. Actions are just indicators of one's heart condition toward God.

I want to now talk about the small weeds. The weeds that if left unattended will choke out all the beautiful flowers that the Lord has planted in your life. These sins will also strangle your faith and over take your garden. These small weeds, are often times, the reasons we do what we do. 

Most of the time, these sins go unnoticed to the outsider. They can easily be explained away by the insider. They are dangerous because they are socially acceptable and often times not even recognized for what they are WEEDS (sins)! They go unnoticed and over time wreck our faith and render us useless for the kingdom of God.

What are some examples of these creeping weeds? Fear, anger, jealousy, pride, control, complacency, bitterness, spirit of entitlement, relying on self rather than relying on God, blame shifting, complaining, selfish ambition, gossiping, vanity, greed, just to name a few. These sins reside in the heart and often times effect our behavior.

What are we doing to tend our garden of faith? We need to be diligently asking the Lord to help us identify and pull up these faith choking weeds. We need to expose the heart conditions behind the sin and bring to light the deep roots of unforgiveness, hurt, disappointment, abandonment, abuse, dejection and rejection. We need to surrender to an Almighty, All Powerful, All Knowing God.

What weeds in your garden need tending?