Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Fear Not: Part 1

Do not let your hearts be troubled trust in God; trust also in me. John 14:1

We as women are so in tune with our feelings and emotions that at times we fall into the trap of believing that our feelings and emotions are truth. How we feel about something becomes our reality. We rely so much on how we “feel” about a situation that our feelings often override God’s truths. For instance, when we say things like, that just doesn’t “feel” right to me; I don’t “feel” like God loves me; I don’t “feel” like I love my husband anymore; I’m “feeling” a little off today; That particular verse doesn't seem fair and doesn't feel right. We are allowing how we feel at that particular moment to define our actions and our reality. It is at these moments that we must remember, God's truths override our feelings. Can I just interject for a moment, God's will for our life very rarely appeals to our flesh therefore, our feelings can not be trusted. For our flesh and the Spirit are constantly at war within us.

Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. John 14:1
The Greek word for trouble in this verse is the word Tarasso, which means to agitate, to cause one inward commotion; to take away one’s calmness of mind. It goes on to use words like to disquiet, to strike with fear and dread; to suggest scruples and doubts. When I read this definition I picture someone who is restless, who doubts, someone who is unfocused.
Henceforth, the word Tarasso distracts us from God’s truths and causes our minds to be filled with lies and confusion.

I struggle with fear. Most of the time my fear is unfounded and totally irrational. My husband always says I missed my calling in two areas, 1. As a lawyer because I will argue a point to the ground and not back down and 2.In the C.I.A. in the Preventative Terrorism Division, P.T.D for short, this is my term for my fear disorder. My husband’s term is probably more appropriate, Conspiracy Think Tank Division, C.T.T.D for short.
You see I struggle with imaginations. I will get silly ideas in my mind and what starts out as this possibly could happen turns into this is going to happen and it is going to happen now. What is my plan of action? I’m telling you if anyone comes in my front door when I am home alone they will be greeted with a golf club in one hand and knife in the other. If anything they might go down in a heap of laughter. Now, I can share this and we can laugh about it but the truth is I have struggled with fear since childhood and I’m sick and tired of being afraid.

John 14, Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, trust also in me. Fear is a heart issue. You and I both know that it is much easier for us to change our behavior than it is for us to change our heart. Heart issues are something we cannot combat on our own. We must have the help of the Holy Spirit. And yet when we look at the word for trouble in the Greek, the word Tarasso, it implies that Jesus is also referring to the mind. Let’s read the definition again, Tarasso, to take away our calmness of mind, to cause one inward commotion, to perplex the mind by suggesting scruples or doubts, to disquiet; to make restless. But Jesus tells us not to let our hearts be troubled. Notice he didn’t say do not let your minds be troubled. He said our hearts not our minds. Jesus did not make the mistake of using the Greek word tarasso when speaking to his disciples. But why did he use a word that seems to appeal to the mind? I believe Jesus knows that to deal with mind we must look at the heart. He knows that our heart is the wellspring of life.

Just a little exerpt from the bible study Footsteps. Hope you have a wonderful day. More on Fear in the days to follow. I would love to hear from you if you struggle with fear.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Good insights.

I struggle with fear over giving my children up completely to God...even though they are his to begin with.

I can lie awake some nights and do nothing but think of all the bad things that could happen to them.

I have begun recently to just stop my mind from running away with me and pray. I pray for God's protection over them but that I acknowledge they are his. I'm just entrusted with them for a brief period of time.

This is extremely hard for me to do but I am trying to trust him and give them over completely to his will.

Liz Blalock said...

Kristin thanks so much for sharing. I have enjoyed your comments. I too struggle with giving my children over to the Lord. I tend to fear anything I can't control. Goodness, knows I can't control them:)!
Thanks for all your encouraging words.

Kristin said...

I have also battled my relationship with my stepchildren. If you happened to have read my blog recently you will see I am turning that over to God as well.

I can say that since that moment that I told him, "I give it to you" I have a peace about it. My heart is changing toward them.

I even emailed them yesterday to thank them for visiting with us this past weekend and that I was looking forward to seeing them in 2 weeks.

I can assure you that is God working in my heart because a month ago I would have sworn to you I would never have done that.