Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Why Are You Crying??

I am plagued by fears. Most of the time my fears are completely irrational. I can get so hyper focused that I get lost in my own thoughts and have a hard time pulling myself back to the present reality. I was having one of my moments of fear when I cried out to God for deliverance. Deliverance over my fears. It was then that he asked me this question, " Liz, Why was Mary crying in the Garden?". My response, "Lord, what does my fear have to do with Mary in the garden?" I want to share with you what the Lord showed me by asking me this not so simple question.

John 20:10-15, Then the disciples went back to their homes, but Mary stood outside the tomb crying. As she wept, she bent over to look into the tomb and saw two angels in white, seated where Jesus' body had been, one at the head and the other at the foot. They asked her, " Woman, why are you crying?" "They have taken my Lord away," she said "and I don't know where they have put him." At this she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not realize that it was Jesus.

"Woman," he said, "why are you crying? Who is it that you are looking for?"

Could it be that when we are in the midst of our anguish that our minds become cloudy? We are so focused on our present reality, we don't see Jesus as he really is? High and lifted up seated at the right hand of God. Exulted. We are so focused on our present situation that we fail to see all that he is doing in our lives and in the lives of others. I want to point out that this same chapter tells us that Mary went to Peter and John and told them that "they" had taken him out of the tomb. The difference was that when Peter and John saw the empty tomb they believed and went back to their homes.

You see, like Mary I can get so caught up in my present sufferings that I react as if there is no God at all. Can you identify with Mary's weeping? Do you feel her sorrow? If you like me can identify, let me encourage you, God does not leave us in our pit of despair. You see Mary went looking for Jesus. She went looking expecting to find him in the tomb dead unable to save her from her present grief but nevertheless she went looking. Mary went looking to anoint Jesus with oil but she is the one who left that day anointed! Let me ask you, "who is it that you are looking for?" "who is it that you seek?"Jesus was and is and will be your deliverer. He is more than able to meet all my needs and he is more than able to meet yours as well.


4 comments:

Lindy Simpson Jones said...

awesome liz!!! thank you for your obedience and commitment to Christ... what an encouragement you are to me!

austin mann said...

Thank you Liz! What a wonderful way to start my day reminded that my Father is with me through anything this day might hold!

Kristin said...

Great post!

Liz Blalock said...

Hey girls!! Thanks for your sweet encouragement!I have enjoyed having an outlet for all my thoughts and ponderings:)